Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Getting Ready

I spent the day yesterday at a workshop for teaching writing to first graders. As many of you know, I am making a switch this year to first grade from second. I am very excited about this change and challenge and look forward to spending the next two years with my class as I will be going to second grade with them next year. Our first official day back for teachers is August 18th and first day back for students is the 25th. However, Open House is Thursday the 21st and you basically need to be ready by this night. After my workshop yesterday, I really began to freak out about getting ready for next year. I don't know the slightest thing about teaching first grade and my room isn't ready, not even for second graders let alone first graders. Aaron had to work today so I was home with the kids and due to some schedule things, there is little time for me to go and work in my room before the 18th. So, the kids were having a great morning and I thought that I would go and see if I could get anything done. I figured it was 11:30 so I only had about an hour before I needed to get the kids home to eat lunch and take a nap. One hour isn't much, but it is better than nothing. I loaded up the diaper bag, all our movies (I have a 72 inch Smart board that can play cable and movies) and snacks and drinks out the wazoo. We get in there and start plugging away. Aside from one minor incident with black paint on Sue's (the girl's class next to me) just cleaned (today) carpet, they were AWESOME!! I didn't leave until 1:45. WAY past lunch and naps but they were so good. My room is now in place. Now there is some major cleaning I need to do and I have to get first grade things on the walls and desks, but if you were to pass by it would definitely look like I was open for business! I can't believe it is already time to get ready for these new friends. I feel like I was just painting with Eli and Lucy on our first day of summer!

No comments: