Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

I always remember people talking about what they were doing when they heard that JFK was shot. Now I completely understand that sentiment. I have been thinking back on that horrible day and exactly what I was doing. I was sitting on my floor in my apartment bedroom in front of the mirror putting my makeup on and getting ready for my Christ and Culture class that was to start at 9:30. I had the Today Show on and was watching it as I got ready for the day. My three roommates and I stood speechless around our TV in shock of what we were seeing. Fast forward to the same time 7 years later. At 8:46 we had a moment of silence at the school. I sat down with my class this morning to have a talk with them about what a moment of silence is and how we are to behave during this time. As we began talking about it, my kids began to ask all sorts of questions about why we were having a moment of silence. As we began to talk about it, I asked how many of my kids were seven years old. Two raised their hands. One was born in June and the other in August of 2001. They were the only two kids who were even alive on that day! This was the first year I have taught that the kids didn't actually know about 9/11. It was sort of strange. There are so many memories that I have of that that day. Here I sit 7 years, two degrees, a marriage, 3 babies, and two different jobs later and those memories are still etched in my mind as clear as if it happened yesterday. Yet for these 21 kids in my class, they will only read about it in books and hear stories about it just as I did with the assassination of JFK. It was definitely an interesting day for me to say the least!

No comments: