A little background information is needed to make this video make sense. Two things...first, we are having a tremendously difficult time to get Eli to poop in the potty. We have tried EVERYTHING! We are still way in over our heads with this problem so I am asking my mommy friends out there for help. But none the less here is a quick background story before the video. Eli refuses to poop in the potty and will wait until bedtime to go when we put the pull up on him. Just as we close the door and say goodnight, he sticks his little head out the door and says, "I'm poopy." This has really begun to wear on my nerves. So I decided to not buy anymore pull ups once they were gone. He didn't have any accidents, but he didn't go either...for 5 days! Getting worried, I found pull up in a drawer and decided to give it to him. Aaron put it on him right before dinner and then we sat down to eat. He was very quiet while we were eating and Aaron asked Eli if he had pooped in his pull up. Eli said, "Nope...but I'm going to!" I tell you what, so manipulative and I can't do anything about it. So fast forward to this weekend. We have decided to try "Parenting with Love and Logic." This is a discipline strategy that we do at school and Aaron and I both read the book when we were in college and agree with a lot of the strategies. We decided to buy the early childhood edition since we have lots of children in that age group. I finished the book this weekend and we decided to try it. It is really working and I have been impressed with how effective and easy it is. The one thing that it suggests is making kids "pay" for something with something of worth to them. For instance, Eli squeezed an entire tube of toothpaste into the sink and then lied about it and told me that Lucy did it. For me having to clean it up, Eli had to "pay" me with one of his favorite cars. He could then earn back that car by helping me with a chore, like cleaning up his toys. So, I decided that if I had to change one of his nasty, poopy pull ups that I should be "paid" for it. Everytime he poops in is pull up, I get a "payment" from him that he can earn back if he poops in the potty. So far...no luck. That's where the video comes in. I was sitting here at the computer tonight when I heard him coming toward me. Knowing what was coming, I grabbed my camera to capture the moment. Knowing full well that he pooped in his pull up, he came to me with cars in hand so that I would change him. At the end of the of the video he talks about getting me "the big car". He earned a big Lightning McQueen car for pooping in the potty (the one and only time he ever did). He traded the eight cards for that big one. Smart boy...what am I going to do with him?
No comments:
Post a Comment