Friday, January 23, 2009

She Needs Our Prayers...

4 years ago, I met a little girl on back to school night who was named Hailey. She was going to be in my class that year. She had just moved here and was very quiet and shy. Before she and her parents left that night, her mom pulled me aside to tell me more about Hailey. She has a rare genetic liver condition that causes her to be quite sick most of the time. Her body can not filter the bile in her system so she has a jaundiced look to her skin and eyes. She also wears a bile bag all the time. Hailey spent the whole year in my class and one discussion I had with her mom, I asked her what the prognosis would be for Hailey. She told me that they were able to control the condition with medication for awhile. Her body would gradually build up an immunity to the medicine and they would constantly have to increase the amount of medication that she took until eventually the medicine would stop being effective. At that point her liver would fail and she would need a liver transplant. Well, 4 years later, that time is now. Hailey has been admitted into a hospital at Chapel Hill with liver failure. She is a very sick little girl who is in need of a liver. I don't have many more details than that. The doctors have suggested they move to Pittsburg, PA where she can receive a "human to human" transplant. I am not even sure what that means. She is an only child and I know that her parents heads are spinning right now as to what will be best for Hailey. I love this little girl and want to help in any way I can. I just don't know what to do. The only thing I know to do is to get on my knees and pray for this sweet child. She is a 10 year old, living in a hospital with a liver that is failing her. No child should have to go through this. I will get on my knees and pray that the Lord will heal this precious girl. Please keep her in your prayers!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I will be praying for Hailey. I can't imagine. My guess is that human to human means that they will take part of a living person's liver - which can be done because the liver regenerates - but it seems like they could do that at Chapel Hill. Keep up posted!