Friday, June 20, 2008
Oh No!!
Many of you know that I was a thumb sucker. I sucked my thumb until I was at least 8 years old (I think I may have done it longer..like 9 or 10!). Not only did I suck my thumb, but I also held my other arm over my face to "hide" my sucking of the thumb. People joke because when I get scared, tired or bored you can often see me with my arm over my face. It is a security thing, I think. Because of these funny little idiosincracies, ever since the kids were born I have been determined to get my kids to suck a paci instead of a digit on their hands. My reasoning has always been because pacies are always easier to get rid of than a finger! Eli and Lucy have taken to their pacies and I must admit that getting them to give them up has been a challenge. But I still keep think about me being in the third and fourth grade still sucking that silly thumb and wanting to be sure that my kids are not like me! Lily has taken to her paci quite well. But interestingly enough, she has discovered her hands this week. I have been noticing that in the night, I can hear her sucking on her fingers through the monitor and have even caught her sucking a finger here or there. Sometimes she has her fingers so far in her mouth that she is choking herself! Then yesterday while we were outside playing, my mouth about hit the ground. There Lily was sitting in her stroller looking as cute as ever sucking away on her index finger and covering her face with her other arm!!! Coincidence? I was hoping so. Except for the last two days, that's all she has been doing. She will spit that paci out and go to town on her index finger and then cover her face with her other arm!!! I am hoping that it is a phase and that as soon as her hands aren't so appealing to her that it will pass! I was feeling quite proud of myelf that I didn't have a thumb sucker but now see that I may not have escaped it completely! I did get some pictures of her with her hands in her mouth and covering her face. They aren't perfect pictures because when I go to get a shot she of course moves them but I have to admit...it's pretty cute! :-)


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment