This is what the Whole 30 timeline tells me I will be feeling today. I must admit right now it seems to be the same feeling I am having. I woke up this morning with anticipation and optimism and have felt great all day long!
So here is the breakdown of my meals today.
Breakfast
Yesterday I told you about the scrambled egg muffins that I made ahead of time. I took 12 eggs and put in about 3 cups of these cut up veggies from Trader Joe's. I also chopped up about 8 slices of bacon into bits. I mixed them all together and filled a muffin tin and baked at 350 for about 14 minutes. When all when said and done, the mixture of eggs made about 18 muffin cups. You can freeze them and put them in the refrigerator the night before!
So this morning I pulled 2 out and microwaved them for about 45 seconds. I also got 3 pieces of bacon and cut up about 6 strawberries. I must admit that I am not great at eating breakfast. I get up for school around 5am and we are out the door by 6:30 so I always feel like it is too early to eat breakfast. I was very full eating this meal this morning and it was hard to force myself to eat. I know that will not always be the case on this journey!
My typical snack time during the day is around 9:00. But this morning I wasn't hungry for my snack at all! Those eggs seemed to have filled up me pretty well!
Lunch
I premade my entire lunch last night so I didn't have to do anything except pull it out of the refrigerator. I made a nice salad topped with cucumbers, grape tomatoes, 2 slices of Applegate Lunch meat from the deli, and one hard boiled egg. It is important to note that the prepackaged deli meat contains carrageen (which is non-compliant) so I simply had the slices cut at the deli counter) I didn't have any paleo ranch available so I made some balsamic and olive oil dressing with a little salt and pepper and dab of lemon juice as a dressing, which was DELICIOUS! I also packed some celery sticks and almond butter and two clementines. I was NOT hungry for my lunch at all. In fact, I didn't even get the chance to finish my whole salad, ate none of the celery, or the clementines.
Snack
I packed a cup's worth of unsalted raw nuts. They have walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and cashews in it. Remember, peanuts are legumes, not nuts, and therefore non-compliant! On my way home, I ate a bite of the celery with the almond butter. It tasted great, but it was completely hijacked by the kids! So I ate an apple on the ride home. I was craving something sweet and it was perfect! When I got home from school though, the cravings hit a little harder. I just wanted to stand in front of the pantry and eat whatever I saw. So I vacuumed my living room instead. It wasn't even that I was hungry! It's just a habit. I have pledged to ask myself if I feel like snacking if I want a piece of fruit. If I do, then I know I am hungry. If I don't, then I know I am just wanting to snack for the sake of snacking! As soon as my violin lesson was over, I immediately began to cook dinner!
Dinner
While the kids aren't on this whole 30 journey with Aaron and me, they are on a modified version. They will continue to eat their regular breakfasts and lunches, but will be eating the same dinners as us. We spent hours planning out a month worth of dinners. We used this editable calendar that we printed and placed on the refrigerator. I've noticed that we stick to our menu better if I have it printed out and placed where everyone can see it. I also have discovered that I don't struggle as much with trying to figure out what to make and then just defaulting to mac n cheese because it is easy. I have also noticed a difference in the kids' reactions to the meals. Lots. Less.Complaining! We have some Roach Family staples that we didn't want to go to the wayside just because we are changing our eating habits. We always have Taco Tuesday so we will still be enjoying that each week, but Aaron and I will be forgoing shells and rice. We also eat pizza every Friday night. This is one that will be changing. Aaron and I have a Valentine's Day date night one Friday so while the kids are with the sitter, they will be enjoying pizza Friday. But on the other Friday nights, we will be exchanging pizza for something else. We will keep you posted on that one.
Our family LOVES breakfast for dinner. So we are starting the month off with this recipe I found for an awesome Denver Scramble. It's a great way to get a bunch of veggies in. Instead of ham I used sausage that I picked up from a local farm at our farmer's market. Aaron isn't a fan of lots of veggies so he chose to just have scrambled eggs and 2 sausage patties.
Now I am off to swim practice for the evening. I have stayed true to the meal plan all day and hopefully come straight home and go to bed to avoid any temptations!
See you tomorrow!
Juli


1 comment:
great job Juli!
Post a Comment