Saturday, February 13, 2016

Whole 30- Day 12

Today was hard. I almost cheated...a lot! I have come to the realization, again I might add, that I have a hard core addiction to sugar.  The Whole 30 refers to it as your sugar dragon.

Cravings. Urges. Irresistible pulls towards the sweet stuff, the carb-y stuff, the comfort stuff. This is collectively referred to as your “Sugar Dragon” in the Whole30 text; that fire-breathing beast clinging to your back, roaring loudly in your ear, demanding its next fix. 

This was me today.  It was so hard!  Every few minutes of the morning were filled with sweet little 7 and 8 year olds bringing me some of my favorites.  The Sugar Dragon was chomping at the bit!  It was so bad that I had to pack up all of the stuff and put it in my office where it was out of my sight.  Even in another room, behind a closed door, it was calling my name!

Other than the sugar dragon (which I would rather call the Sugar Demon), the day went without a hitch.  I didn't have any snacks today and better yet, didn't feel the urge to eat snacks.  This is important for me because it means that I am eating food that is not just satisfying me, but also staying with me.

For breakfast I ate sausage egg casserole.  We had another super busy morning because the girls were wanting their hair done for Valentine's Day.  We were slightly late (for us) and it didn't really even bother me.  One of the things I am learning is that food prep is key.  In a hurry, we make some pretty crappy choices about food.  Will 10 minutes really impact my day that much?  No, but not taking the time to prepare a healthy breakfast and lunch will impact my health in the future.  So it was a wakeup call for me this morning about priorities.

No one seems to enjoy my chili very much :-(  But I loved it heated up for lunch today.  It is so delicious and it fills me up because of the high content of veggies in it.  I finished lunch off with 2 baby clementines.

In the afternoon, I did not need a snack!  I stayed late at school today to attempt to get caught up a bit from this week and get set for next week.  Eli and I picked up some pizzas for pizza Friday since I didn't have time to make one.  Aaron and the girls got home from dance, enjoyed some pizza while I had some more leftovers.  Then the kids and I headed off to Charlotte to see Matilda.

We had a wonderful evening at the theatre and I loved taking the kids to see the show.  They enjoyed it so much!  Eli said he loved the show even more than Wicked.  What a fun experience.

So Day 12 turned out to be my hardest day so far.  While it was difficult, I also didn't quit and I learned a lot about myself and my sugar demon!

No comments: