...this phase gets really intense and for some people. This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know. Our food relationships are deeply rooted and strongly reinforced throughout the course of our lives and breaking through them is really big deal...
It is totally happening! I started out the morning by finishing off my egg casserole. (I guess I will be making some more tomorrow for the week!) I was really feeling like going to the gym today (that never happens) so I headed out to the gym and ran/walked for about 30 minutes. I felt good and had lots of energy. In times past when I was "dieting" if I didn't work out daily, it felt like I was failing because I wasn't burning off enough of my calories for the day and food alone wouldn't help me to be successful. There is a huge mental shift in not weighing myself or counting/tracking food. But I am learning through this process that it is the types of food we eat when we are "dieting" that are actually causing the problem. I love that the focus of these 30 days is the actual food. Nutrient rich, real food. The energy I am gaining is making me WANT to exercise but I actually don't feel like I would HAVE to exercise to see results. I have always heard that dieting is 80% food and 20% exercise but I have never really understood that!
One eye opening documentary that I watched prior to trying the Whole 30 again was Fed Up, narrated by Katie Couric.
By the time I got back from working out, I was hungry but didn't have a lot of time. I made myself a hotdog and had some Tessemae's Ketchup. I ate some celery and an orange. It hit the spot.
Things went on without a hitch for the remainder of the day. That is, until dinner. Oh goodness, dinner! The girls had a small dance recital this afternoon. We were there for awhile and by the time we were about to go home, it was late(r). So one of our friends suggested going to Park Road Soda Shoppe. This is one of our favorite places. It is so cute and they have wonderful food. Wonderful food...if you aren't currently on the Whole30.
Talk about your comfort foods taunting you. Fries, onion rings, milkshakes. The smells. So I took a look at their menu. They had two salads that looked delicious and would be good for me but it would all stem on dressing. If they had oil and vinegar that I could put on the salad then I would be golden. If not, I was in trouble! When she came to get my order, I asked if they had oil/vinegar and she told me...no. Uh oh! What can I do? So they had a porkchop sandwich. I got it without the bun and then for my side I got the only vegetable on the menu that wasn't fried...green beans. It was hard, guys. Super hard. It tasted good and I enjoyed it. but the comfort foods of that place were hard to resist!
When we got home, I was still hungry and I just stood in my pantry looking for something to eat. Remember my rule that I established myself, "If I am hungry, eat an apple. If I don't want to eat the apple then I am not hungry enough"? I didn't want ANY whole 30 approved food. I wanted chips. I wanted ice cream. I wanted Valentine's Day chocolate. So I just walked out of the kitchen altogether.
Tomorrow I will be 2 weeks in this. It is weird to think how much has changed already and yet I still have a long way to go. 30 days doesn't seem that long. But right now in the midst of it, it seems like an eternity.
1 comment:
You are amazing! I am so proud of you!
Post a Comment